Washington, D.C., August 13, 2014 -- Mr. Joel Pett, President of Cartoonists Rights Network International (CRNI) has just announced that the CRNI Board of Directors has selected Indian cartoonist Kanika Mishra and Palestinian cartoonist Majda Shaheen as co-recipients of the Award for Courage in Editorial Cartooning for 2014. Each year CRNI gives this coveted award to a cartoonist in great danger who has demonstrated exceptional courage in the exercise of free speech rights under extraordinary circumstances. Our policy on the Award for Courage in Editorial Cartooning: • We award a cartoonist in grave danger • We do not award any cartoonists who advocate violence or hate • We do not award a cartoon This year’s ceremony will take place on October 11th in San Francisco, California USA during the annual convention of the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists from the 9th to the 11th. read more
CRNI Annual Report 2009 Summary
Cartoon by Arcadio Esquivel, CagleCartoons.com.
Cartoonists Rights Network International’s Mission is to
monitor and support the well-being of editorial cartoonists and their families who find themselves in danger due to the power and influence of their professional work.
CRNI achieves its mission by:
- Working directly with editorial cartoonists in danger to address their legal, familial and safety issues;
- Posting alerts about cartoonists in danger;
- Launching letter-writing campaigns on behalf of cartoonists in danger;
- Educating the general public about free speech and freedom of expression issues as they relate to editorial cartooning;
- Posting global updates on free speech and expression issues and cases via our website;
- Maintaining and displaying a global archive of cartoons that have triggered human rights abuses inflicted upon authoring cartoonists;
- Organizing and facilitating Freedom of Expression Workshops for editorial cartoonists, and;
- Honoring the courage of an editorial cartoonist with our annual Award for Courage in Editorial Cartooning.
Click here to view a pdf copy of the 2009 Annual Report.