A death sentence has been pronounced via Twitter for Kuwati-born Naif Al-Mutawa by the jihadist militant group ISIS, according to reports out of the Middle East. Dr. Al-Mutawa’s groundbreaking comic THE 99 has sought to give the Muslim community its own superheroes while at the same time fostering a greater, more positive understanding of Islam among its non-Muslim readers. Created in consultation with Sharia scholars, THE 99 has led to Al-Mutawa being listed among the world’s 500 Most Influential Muslims in the World by Jordan’s Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Center and named, alongside Steve Jobs, one of the seven most influential designers in the world by Forbes China. read more
CRNI Annual Report 2009 Summary
Cartoon by Arcadio Esquivel, CagleCartoons.com.
Cartoonists Rights Network International’s Mission is to
monitor and support the well-being of editorial cartoonists and their families who find themselves in danger due to the power and influence of their professional work.
CRNI achieves its mission by:
- Working directly with editorial cartoonists in danger to address their legal, familial and safety issues;
- Posting alerts about cartoonists in danger;
- Launching letter-writing campaigns on behalf of cartoonists in danger;
- Educating the general public about free speech and freedom of expression issues as they relate to editorial cartooning;
- Posting global updates on free speech and expression issues and cases via our website;
- Maintaining and displaying a global archive of cartoons that have triggered human rights abuses inflicted upon authoring cartoonists;
- Organizing and facilitating Freedom of Expression Workshops for editorial cartoonists, and;
- Honoring the courage of an editorial cartoonist with our annual Award for Courage in Editorial Cartooning.
Click here to view a pdf copy of the 2009 Annual Report.