Cartoon by Alfredo Sábat, AlfredoSabat.com and Cartoon Movement.
Our clients feel the impact of every donation. Every donor fights in the trenches of the war on freedom of expression and thought. The following is a list of the foundations and corporations recognizing the value and impact of cartoonists in the political and social process. We thank these foundations and corporations for their support and confidence.
- Challenge Fund in Journalism, New York, NY, United States. A one-year $15,000 challenge grant to help CRNI develop its infrastructure and individual donor base. The Challenge Fund in Journalism is a partnership of the Knight, McCormick Tribune, Ford and Ethics and Excellence in Journalism Foundations. We were able to match the challenge through a donation from one individual of $25,000.
- UNESCO, Paris, France. A grant in 2006-07 to support the strengthening of CRNI's website. During 2007 the website came under very aggressive hacking attack from militant Islamists who wanted to silence our support for cartoonists in trouble. Most of the resources from this grant was devoted to defending our website with UNESCO consultants and reconstructing and reposting materials that had been lost during the attack. We were able to assure that no one would hack our website. To date, no one has.
- Open Society Foundation, London, England. A companion grant to the UNESCO project to strengthen our original website. Later, another grant to construct an entirely new website after repeated hacking. Working with a Baltimore website developing firm, we are busy developing new materials while designing a more exciting and dynamic website.
- Herb Block Foundation, Washington, DC, United States. A series of one-year grants to support CRNI's core operating costs. The Herb Block Foundation also assists in supporting our annual awards ceremony where CRNI honors a deserving cartoonist with the Award for Courage in Editorial Cartooning.
- Jyllands-Posten Foundation, Viby, Denmark. A grant to assist CRNI hold its annual awards dinner in Washington, D.C. in July, 2007.
- Young D.C., Washington, DC, United States. A series of annual grants from the Cartoons and Cocktails charity cartoon auction held each October at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C. These grants usually average about $1,500 each, with an accompanying donation of up to $650 for our featured cartoonist.
- New York Times Company Foundation, New York, NY, United States. A $5,000 grant to publish cartoon illustrated advocacy documents for cartoonists who are under great threat.
- DOEN Foundation, Amsterdam, Netherlands. A grant in 2012 to support MENA region cartoonists, to develop institutional capacity in the region, and to develop a safety manual for endangered cartoonists.
Click here to see a pdf copy of our IRS 2011 IRS 990 report.
Click here to see a pdf copy of our 2010 IRS 990 report.
Click here to see a pdf copy of our 2009 IRS 990 report.
Click here to see a pdf copy of our IRS 501 (c)(3) tax-exempt determination letter.